Eyelash extensions are a crucial part of make-up, and we often tend to ignore them when it comes to maintenance and care. You may be using eyelashes for a long time now, but do you know how to take care of them to use them for a more extended period? Well, here’s a little guide to dos and don’ts from Wisp Lashes!
Eyelashes are one of the most delicate parts of makeup, and hence they need a bit extra care. Why look after them? Well, there are three reasons:
- It affects the health of your natural lashes: If you are not careful enough in taking care of your extensions, it can directly affect your lash health. It can also slow down the growth of new eyelashes. Your eyelids might feel itchy due to a build-up of dead skin if they are not cleaned regularly. You might even develop an allergy if you’re not careful enough.
- The better you care, the better they look: No one would want to see eyelashes loaded with extra mascara and makeup. That seems extremely untidy and dirty. So it’s better to keep them clean to make them look pretty for long.
- You’ll save your time and money: Generally, infills are charged based on the number of lashes to be replaced. If you maintain your extensions well, you won’t have to spend your time and money on infill appointments.
The first tip from us would be to get good quality eyelash extensions to avoid unnecessary trouble later. Wisp Lashes provides you with the best ones according to your requirement. Here are some dos and don’ts you should keep in mind if you’re getting eyelash extensions:
- Clean your eyelash extensions thoroughly, for at least twice or thrice a week. You can use a foaming lash cleanser or a baby shampoo. Be careful about the amount when you’re using baby shampoo. If you are using eyelash cleaner, make sure you saturate the cotton pad with a cleaner because dry cotton can stick to the lashes.
- Try using oil-free products on your face. Especially makeup removers and cleansers, because they tend to come in contact with eyelash extensions. Foam based cleansers are preferable.
- Avoid touching them frequently. The oily matter from your fingers might get on them and ruin the quality of the extensions. However, if you have an oily face, try to control this as much as possible with blotting papers, mattifying lotions etc. and by using oil-control moisturizer.
- Keep them dry for a minimum of 24 to 36 hours. It would be better if you avoid washing your hair during this time. And, if you need to, it is advisable to use lukewarm water. Try to keep water off your eyes.
- Avoid being in humid environments, or scorching hot showers for 24 hours at least. If it’s a very hot and humid day, try to stay out of the heat. All of this will allow the adhesive to stick as strongly as possible.
- You can purchase a mascara especially designed for lash extensions, rather than using the regular mascara. However, if you need to, make sure you buy a water-based mascara. Just know that water-based and water-proof are two different things.
- Do not touch your lashes unnecessarily. Picking on them can damage your lashes.
- Avoid putting strip lashes on top of your extensions. You’ll lose a few of your lashes when you try to take them off.
- Do not use cleansing oils if you want your extensions to last longer
- Do not bring your face too near to a flame.
- Don’t use baby wipes to wipe off make up from the extensions
- Do not wear any oil-based mascara
Apart from these small tips, you also need to refill your mascaras regularly. Sticking with your refill appointments every two weeks will keep your lashes looking perfect. Generally, it is fine to get refills at a gap of two to four weeks, but it also depends on some factors like the number of lashes added, the growth of your lashes, the way you treat your extensions and your skin type. However, the longer you wait for the refill, the longer it takes to get done. You may require an entirely new set of lashes if you avoid your infills appointment for a bit too long.
If you keep these small tips in mind, you can save yourself a lot of time and money, and make your eyelash extensions look on fleek!